The Geelong Library & Heritage Centre (GL&HC) is located on Wadawurrung Country, in the heart of Geelong’s cultural precinct, adjacent to the beautiful Johnstone Park.
The GL&HC is the flagship library of the Geelong Regional Libraries’ network and houses the Geelong Heritage Centre archive repository and Reading Room.
We provide public exhibition spaces to promote artworks of local relevance, providing our community with responsive, vibrant and challenging cultural experiences.
We seek to develop audiences and communities through the delivery of exhibitions that showcase or interpret our collections, act as a platform for creative community dialogue and which encourage curiosity, debate and discussion.
Artists and makers, community artists and artist collectives are invited to apply to exhibit their work at the GL&HC. We support a broad range of visual art practices and exhibition types including painting, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, photography, textiles and installations.
We seek exhibition applications all year round and assess on a quarterly basis.
The GL&HC provides exhibition spaces in a number of areas of the building, including:
• Ground Floor
• Level 1
• Level 2
• Level 5
• Display cases
• Stairwell landing between Levels 1 and 2 (note: not wheelchair accessible)
• Stairwell walls (note: not wheelchair accessible).
For a full list of features, specifications and available equipment please refer to the Exhibition Handbook.
GL&HC accepts applications from artists at all stages of their career, including community groups. You do not need to live in the City of Greater Geelong to apply.
We encourages exhibitions and displays which:
1. Are of artistic merit and quality
2. Enhance access and connect audiences with the Geelong Regional Library Corporation’s Collections and the region’s history
3. Engage the community in public conversation on contemporary issues of importance to them
4. Promote the library as a place of innovative thinking and robust discussion
5. Trial emerging models of audience and community engagement
6. Are considerate of the broad range of visitors to the GL&HC.
When applying, please consider…
• Representation or acknowledgement of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander or CALD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) people
• The inclusivity and accessibility of your exhibition, including for people with disabilities
• Potential of proposed exhibition to engage with the community and support the development of a vibrant, artistic community within the Geelong region
• Your enthusiasm for and prior engagement with the visual arts.
Hire fee and costs
There is no fee to hire exhibition space at the GL&HC and the Geelong Regional Library Corporation does not charge commission on sold artwork.
Artists are responsible for all costs associated with exhibition hanging and for any launch expenses relating to catering/refreshments. Please note there are catering restrictions at the GL&HC – please speak to a member of the Venue Hire team on (03) 4201 0522 (Monday to Friday during business hours) for more information.
Please note, the GL&HC will not administer artwork sales or facilitate payment on behalf of the artist.
Further details about exhibiting at the GL&HC, and the application process, can be found in the Exhibition Handbook.
To submit an application, please complete the form below.
Download a flyer here.
Upon acceptance of your request you will be required to submit supporting material including high resolution images and a single A4 page curriculum vitae.
We are committed to protecting your privacy, and to managing your personal and health information in the manner required by Victorian legislation.
The personal and health information collected through the submission of this form or conduct of this transaction will be held, used and disclosed in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 and the Health Records Act 2001.
Back to The Dome