You are here
The Geelong Library has moved
The Geelong Library has opened in the foyer of the State Government Office building. All the services continue to be available including access to collections, information technology and children’s weekly Preschool Storytime and Babytime Nursery Verses sessions. Please come in and visit us.
During the building of the new Geelong Library and Heritage Centre, Geelong West library will have extended operating hours in order to assist library members with evening and weekend access.
- Print and Multimedia collections for loan
- 10 Public Internet access PCs
- Kids Play and Learn touchscreen PC’s featuring select early literacy and numeracy development games and child-friendly keyboards and mice
- 1 Apple iMac computer
- Free wifi access for library members
- Weekly Preschool Storytime and Babytime Nursery Verses sessions
- Wheelchair access
- Electric scooter recharge point
- Self-check outs feature multiple language settings other than English
Geelong Library & Heritage Centre
Construction of the new Geelong library & Heritage Centre is now underway with the old building removed and the successful construction company, Kanes, moving into the site to commence the building process.
The new Geelong Library and Heritage Centre will be a spectacular addition to Geelong’s architectural and cultural landscape. The $45.5 million centre is designed by renowned Melbourne firm ARM Architecture and its key features will include:
- over 6,000 square metres
- 120,000 print and multimedia collection items
- Children’s exploration and discovery zone
- Heritage Centre repository and reading room
- Youth space
- Individual and group study spaces
- Café, exhibition space and major event space
- Community spaces for meetings and lifelong learning programs
It will be a state-of-the-art facility with all the mod cons for today’s library user. The new Geelong Library & Heritage centre will not only provide access to information through printed collections and via the latest multi-media platforms, it will serve as a community hub in the centre of Geelong.
The new building will replace the old Geelong Library and Heritage Centre and will be built on the existing building’s footprint in Johnstone Park.
The redevelopment is being funded by the City of Greater Geelong ($20 million), the State Government ($15 million) and the Federal Government ($10 million). Works are expected to be completed by late 2015.
For further information, please visit the City of Greater Geelong website at: